Pages

Sunday, October 28, 2012

Folklore Entry #1


This is the beginning of a dispensary for my folklore knowledge. It "consists of legends, music, oral history, proverbs, jokes, popular beliefs, fairy tales, stories, tall tales, and customs that are the traditions of a culture, subculture, or group. It is also the set of practices through which those expressive genres are shared. The study of folklore is sometimes called folkloristics ... In usage, there is a continuum between folklore and mythology."

There are four major areas to folklore study: artifacts (e.g. voodoo dolls, crucifixes, Masonic "death" chambers); describable and transmittable entity (i.e. oral tradition, stories, etc.); culture (i.e. the group to which the folklore belongs and the context it exists in); and finally, behavior (i.e. rituals, practices, modes of folklore).

I will also be discussing my own... experiences with certain folklore. These will include ghost stories, out-of-body experiences, near-death experiences, creatures I have seen, and haunted places I have visited. However, I'll try to stick to the greater topics and only intersperse my own stories rarely.

Additionally, while there is a jargon and academic vein in folklore, I will avoid it when possible in order to keep these entries comprehensible to the average person. This is not intended for experts but for the worst kind of skeptics who, like myself, do not believe but want to.


Cheers!

0 footnotes: