Pages

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Times A Wastin'


Seems like lately all I can do is but blog about the bigoted ish going on in the world. I've covered racism, sexism (both misogyny and misandry), transphobia, homophobia, Islamophobia, classism, nativism, anti-Semitism, ignorance, prejudice, and discrimination.

Whooo man is my soul tired from these conflicts! I wage battles of words so dense the blocks of text might as well be nuclear warheads. I drop knowledge bombs like NGO's drop food parcels, like slack-jawed politicians drop responsibility to their constituents, like pop music icons drop artistic standards, and like cyber-trolls drop their humanity for insanity.

But maybe I need to stop engaging with these kinds of zombies? Maybe I need to stop indulging their needs for "BRAAAAAAAAAAAAIIINNNNSSS!" and start focusing on more interesting things... like sci-fi fantasy steampunk space opera. Or something like that.

It takes a toll though, being on the ragged edge of other people's bigotry, staring down The Big 4 (fear, anger, hatred, suffering) like a fricking Jedi-Knight. And no lightsaber in sight.

I'm just not well-equipped to give fools the last word. I'm too stubborn for that. I don't know how to walk away from an argument without parting shots and hail mary comments. It's not in me to let ignorance pass uncontested. I gotta name it, gotta challenge it, gotta shame it, mock it, laugh at it, and yell for everyone to come see this pure, unadulterated bullshit.

Maybe I'm kind of an asshole with a complex.

Anyhoo, besides these ever-winding days I don't see much outside of the computer screen. Makes me almost miss the long stretch of college-days bleeding into nothingness, like I've substituted a desert for a cave.

Still, I get by on just a little bit o' bottled compassion at a time. That, and my lover and our home together.

So I guess it ain't so bad.

0 footnotes: