Pages

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Does Anyone Still Read?


I'm not given to seek an audience. I'm actually quite timid about my personal writing in real life. Still haven't done those poetry readings I told myself I'd do. But that said, I often wonder who's still reading this blog anymore? I sometimes wonder if it's just random passersby and trolls. It seems like my words echo across the infinite vastness of cyberspace, haunting me with the silence which follows.

But I'm glad for the void, for the endless hole to dump my constant frustrations, fears, concerns, anger, confusion, love, hope, spontaneity, and the thoughts which spill from my mind like river water rolls downstream.

Still I need... something new, something that'll reinvigorate my desire to share all the stories locked-up inside of me. Maybe I need to stop wasting time writing for the internet and actually go out to and read to other, real live people? Maybe I need to focus on my as yet unpublished second collection? Maybe I need to ditch the arguments with bigots or the constant search for new news? I don't know. I just know that despite writing everyday, I feel like my writing isn't going anywhere. There's an unexpected stall happening while the road morphs around me.

I think it's time to change, because change feels like it's coming.


3 footnotes:

Student of the World said...

I do *raises hand*. I'm currently reading Ada by Nabokov. I just finished "Disappearing Acts" by Terry Macmillian. The internet helps me facilitate this because the "Ada" I'm reading is online, with the appendix which makes read in it and understanding it easier. And I wish more books were available. Like an online library would be so awesome.

But I do read the news a lot too, been avoiding it lately because it annoys me. And it does seem as though we're in this age of information overload with so many things competing for our attention.

And even people I know who do read literature generally tend to be older.

I think you're on the right track as far as needing a change. It's interesting to see how different industries deal with the internet especially the Publishing. I think literature as an art form will survive, it will just experience a decline in popularity in the Western World and a change in how it is presented.

One of the reasons I stopped blogging was because I realized I missed my paper journal. It's as readily available as my laptop/tablet/phone but I prefer it because I enjoy writing. The physical act of it.

Zek J. Evets said...

Haha, my question was more about: is anyone still reading my blog? I think you might've missed that part, hehe.

But anyhoo, I think you're on the right track regarding the decline of print media. But that's a WHOLE other blog-post.

Student of the World said...

Sorry! I thought you were referring to other professional projects. I though in addition to this blog you were doing some form of writing for profit so I thought that's what you meant. Lol my bad.