Pages

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Busibodies


This past week has been a blur of working, writing, going to class, watching X-Files, anti-racist blogging, preparing for a GED fundraiser, promoting the open-mic I host, and revising my book for publication.

But amidst all the madness, I have had time to reflect on issues of some profundity.

[Paul Ryan's suicidal budget] -- more tax breaks for the top 1%, more taxation of the poor and middle-class, along with a loss of discretionary spending programs like healthcare, schools, arts, roads, welfare, and other important institutions.

[Jon Stewart's influence on my personal politics] -- watching him regularly demolish the hypocrisy and macabre idiocy of journalists and politicians alike has instilled a slow-boiling disgust with our government beyond my original apathy and cynicism.

[HBD race-realists] -- listening to the pseudoscientific insanity of racists with no understanding of scientific method, racism, or even basic English has made me fearful of the growing number of haters in America who seek to use anger, deceit, and ignorant bigotry to instill an agenda of oppression upon anyone isn't White Anglo-Saxon Protestant Upper-Class Male while hiding behind a facade of dispassionate prejudice. They are the Tea Bagger's ugly cousins.

[Misogynists] and [Misandrists] -- talking with various experts involved in gender-politics has opened my eyes to the demonization of entire genders merely because it serves a political-end; throwing people under the bus in order to line the pockets of the sexual grievance industry and conservative politics alike. Whether it's virulent MRA's engaging in slut-shaming, victim-blaming and voicing elements of [Game] designed to treat women as second-class citizens, or it's fundamentalist Feminists giving a pass to false-rape claims, the achievement gap in schools that leaves men and boys with no education, or giving to the 40% of men who suffer from domestic violence a condescending hand wave away from their DV shelters that receive public funding.

I have been exposed to so many volatile issues that I feel split like a tree struck by lightening.

And now, attempting to mend is like pulling back together while simultaneously being pushed apart.

 As a guy working two jobs to pay his way through college to complete two bachelor's degrees while simultaneously publishing a book, hosting a weekly open-mic, blogging with crazies, reading for leisure, having a social life with my girlfriend, AND still managing to sleep 6-8 hours a night...

I feel tired as fuck.

'Bout time for a little break.



Cheers

3 footnotes:

Mira said...

Interesting links, especially the gender ones. I totally forgot about the good old Roissy! But then again, I believe (s)he is a troll. I mean, (s)he has to be.

Never heard of the misogynist site you linked, but I know about the Feministe. Now, they do have some good stuff, but strangely enough, their best stuff often have nothing to do with gender. A coincidence?

This all makes me think whether I am a feminist or not, you know. I always considered myself one, and (male) people often accuse me (yes, accuse me) of being one, but then again, so many females claim I am giving men a pass. Oh, and imagine that, I even took my husband's last name... I must be an uneducated trash who supports patriarchal system, right?

But at the end of the day, as cheesy as that sounds, I am really for equality. And no matter what kind of horrible things men did to women for centuries, and no matter the discrimination that still exists today, it would be unfair to just turn around and start molesting and discriminating men- individual human beings- for being, well, males.

I mean, how can you fight for the equal rights if you believe half of humanity isn't entitled to those rights?

PS-Speaking of which, my "rape is not fun" rand didn't make it to the blog (yet), but I've written this short rant on 40 Days and 40 Nights:

http://jefflion.tumblr.com/post/4669798183/josh-hartnett-movie-challenge-40-days-and-40-nights

And fear not, one person (I wonder if it's male or female) informed me it's "not the same" and that you can't rape a guy "like that".

Zek J Evets said...

Mira,

Haha, good old Roissy... Probably the most pathetic collection of misogynists and pseudo-rapists ever to form in the blogosphere.

I am not a Feminist, but I sympathize with Feminism as an idea. However, in practice, in America, in the present day I find it to be just another system of oppression. Perhaps in other countries it is necessary, but here it seems like just another ideology in power attempting to continue its existence in making money and political careers for upper-class people.

That said, I want equality too. I just feel there are better ways now of going about it.

Also, I checked your post on the subject, and I liked it! Can't wait to see it on the main site =)

Mira said...

A confession: At first, I thought Roissy was a parody/troll blog. I mean, it just had to be. But no. The guy is for real, I'm afraid.

However, in practice, in America, in the present day I find it to be just another system of oppression. Perhaps in other countries it is necessary, but here it seems like just another ideology in power attempting to continue its existence in making money and political careers for upper-class people.

I think feminism is great in theory. But the problem is that most of the feminists are privileged women, and they fight for their own goals, and they often don't care about the women that truly need their help.

Feminism here is no better... Unfortunately, it's often about the privileged women whining about how horrible men are... Without paying much attention to women in need.

There's so much sexism in my culture (men on women), but the women affected are often poor, uneducated and live in rural areas or are Gypsy. And for some reason, many feminists don't really fight for those women, because they don't see these women as being the same group as them.

I sure don't want any man to suffer just because there are men who abuse women. I mean, I don't really believe in collective responsibility (based on gender, ethnicity, race or religion). I mean, I do like men and I think they can be pretty great human beings. The world would sure be a boring place without them! ;) But sure don't see men as the "default" humans, and I am so glad I've been raised never to see myself as being somehow disadvantaged for being a girl. Then again, I am a tomby, and we get much easier time than feminine women, which IS sexist. But that's another story.

Also, I checked your post on the subject, and I liked it! Can't wait to see it on the main site =)

I'll probably do that post soon. But I am still not sure what I should write about: rant about the film and the fact rape was played for comedy, or write a more serious post about double standards in general, or how rape is never funny.