Pages

Monday, November 8, 2010

Of Compassion


The fools say I am foolish for caring like I do. But I say they are fools and keep caring because that's what I do.

When it comes to Life, people are so full of themselves, so full of their own selves to see the other snowflakes in the snowstorm. They act like islands, and forget to consider the ocean which surrounds them. It must be lonely to live so sadly.

When it comes to compassion, I know how to -- in that understanding where I see someone like they see themselves, I can love them like they love themselves. It takes a lot to do that. It takes more than I've honestly got, but if I didn't give it well then I'd be so full of myself like every other fool that I'd forget what it means to be human. Or a snowflake. Or an island.

If this doesn't make sense then I suppose it isn't really meant to. One person's wisdom isn't a substitute for another's experience. One person's experience isn't a substitute for another's compassion.

Let those who can care, care as much as they can. And let the rest alone I say.



Cheers

8 footnotes:

Zek J Evets said...

@anon: are you laughing because you think i'm funny? or are you laughing because you're playing one of the fools in my post?

either way, your comment doesn't get posted.

Jasmin said...

Aw, I had a great "play the fool" song lyric on the tip of my tongue, but I lost it!

Jasmin said...

Got it!

Everybody plays the fool, sometimes/There's no exception to the rule/Listen baby!

Natasha W said...

I think compassion is a very admirable attribute, so be glad you're a compassionate person. You're certainly not a fool for it.

Zek J Evets said...

@jasmin: haha, i think i'll pass on adding that song to my itunes.

@natasha: thank you! i think compassion is a good thing too =)

Jasmin said...

It's a classic!

And you know I'm glad you're nice--one of us has to be. :-P

Zek J Evets said...

@jasmin: mhmm, and that someone is apparently me =P

but you know you're like a little cupcake for me...

Mira said...

I didn't know compassion is seen as a bad thing...

Naivety, on the other hand, yes. But there's nothing like compassion and innocence (not sure how else to put it) in my book; it can only make me value said people more.

I think to many, being compassionate is a sign of being weak, or easily manipulated... People like to demonstrate their power on others, and those who don't let others mess with them (their emotions, for example) are seen as "better". Not sure why. I sometimes pity those people.

Being overly compassionate can be tough, and it can also get you hurt... But at least you have a chance to lead a rich life and to experience it better than those who are too scared to even try.