Pages

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Names For William Shakespeare


Call me old-fashioned, but I do love me some Billy S. of Avon. Among all writers writing in English, none compares to the sheer creative ecstasy that I get when rediscovering how this one man changed forever the way we speak a language that is worth more currency around the world than any other single intellectual commodity.

He goes by many names:

Willy the Shake
Billy the Bard
Will Sonneteer
Old Bill Bardly
The Linguistically-strapped Will Bill of Stratford upon the Avon

In every instance he is the one and only William Shakespeare, The Bard, The Muse, The Poet, Playwright, and Writing God. The man of the Seven Basic Plots. Sonneteer extraordinaire. Our Dearly Beloved Sweet Swan of Stratford upon Avon.

And in recognition of this randomly-decided-upon-occasion, I have prepared a list of "cool Shakespeare stuff".


1) [Shakespeare is Hip Hop].




2) [Translation of Shakespeare into "gangsta"]



3) [List of words and phrases that Shakespeare created or coined]


While Homer was the Poet, Shakespeare was the Bard, and being a Bard was equivalent to badassery in Elizabethan/Jacobean England. Essentially, Bards were the pimps of their day, wooing women with the flow of their verbiage, impressing nobles and commoners alike at their truly amazing ability to capture the zeitgeist of a crowd and beat the shit out of it into something resembling... greatness.

To close this post, I leave you with a poignant picture that explains exactly why Shakespeare is awesome.


Cheers

5 footnotes:

Mira said...

I loved that Shakespearen costume on a budget! And any mocking of Stepehenie Meyer gets a thumb up from me.

The best "alternative" way of dealing with Shakespeare (and the coolest Shakespeare stuff) gotta be Tom Stoppard's "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead". The worst- "Shakespeare in love" (does that even deserve to be called "Shakespeare related stuff"?)

MKL said...

Nice list of nicknames, but I'm more a fan of

Mister K

a.k.a
The Kaf-man

or good old Franz Kafka, the master :)

PS: And he's is also Jewish ;)

Zek J Evets said...

@mira: i liked shakespeare in love! but then again, i'm a sucker for any romance-related movie, haha.

@mkl: oh kafka... yes, he gets prop for representing as a jew, but nonetheless he's way too cynically pessimistic for me.

my grandmother tells me a story how we're related to him from way back. apparently a brother of my great-great-grandpa (on my grandmother's side) married one of his sisters, or something. family stories are weird like that.

Mira said...

I am sorry, I couldn't stand "Shakespeare in Love". Maybe that's because of Gwyneth Paltrow. I am not quite sure, but in any case, I really disliked that film (maybe I just hate romantic comedies? Or Gwyneth Paltrow?)

Yoira said...

I love Willy and if he looked anything like Joseph Fiennes in Shakespeare In Love...Well, he's dead.
Oh, Joseph Fiennes' sprightly eyebrows... I digress.

Shakespeare into "gangsta". Ridiculous. Haha

& I just decided on my dog's Halloween costume.