Pages

Friday, August 14, 2009

A-pop


It's a damn shame to admit, but I love pop music recycled through an Asian culture (any Asian culture) and then spewed right back in my face.



J-pop, K-pop, C-pop (both cantopop & mandopop) P-pop... no, it's all fucking Asian pop music. This is A-pop [trademarked]. It's all over-produced imitations of Michael Jackson meets Britney Spears meets Techno, and I can't get enough of it! Inject that shit right into my eardrums.

There's some about how that whole region reinterprets their influences, coming up with such strange versions of what would normally be a rather easy parody. They enjoy it so completely, naively, so unironically, that when they make music like it, their strange love for it is tangible in such a way as to make the music almost... good, albeit highly randomized.

Current favorite A-pop artists of mine include:

Yoko Kanno.
Hikaru Utada.
Jewelry.
Sammi Cheng.
Kapampangans.

And here's a video clip of "Passion" by Hikaru Utada. Because her work for the Kingdom Hearts series is AMAZAZING.

11 footnotes:

FunkyStarkitty50 said...

Never heard of her, but I enjoyed the video. Thanks for sharing that!!

JacqueRoxx said...

I wouldn't have admitted this otherwise, but I have Simple & Clean in my ipod---I love it!

I also like Asian R&B/Hip-hop. Yoon Mi Rae is really good! Wow, I wouldn't have guessed that you listen to "A-Pop"

Shattered illusions said...

Ever heard of Yui?

Zek J Evets said...

@funky: glad you enjoyed it!

@jacque: yeah, a-pop is among my MANY guilty pleasures. yoon mi rae is definitely great!

@shattered: i've heard of yui, but haven't listened to her yet. any recommendations on what i should start with?

natalye said...

check out capsule - my current favourite j-pop-ish music

Zek J Evets said...

@natalye: thanks! i'm loving all these recommendations.

Frizz said...

I love Utada Hikaru; and Kingdom Hearts is the shit, I still play them like they were just released.

&& Yeah, I'm a bit too comfortable with A-Pop myself..... I used to be embarrassed but now I don't give a shit.

Frizz said...

btw, I love Yoko Kanno her work on Cowboy Bebop was fucking brilliant.

Zek J Evets said...

@frizz: YES! COWBOY BEBOP! fucking love that anime. the seatbelts are my favorite band. seriously, in my room i have a big poster for the series, as well as the entire discography - music AND episodes/movie.

yeah, i love it.

kingdom hearts too. the whole series is great, but unfortunately i'm financially unable to purchase a playstation to continue playing the series anymore =(

a-pop is embarrassing in a good way.

Frizz said...

Dude, I LOVE The Seatbelts. I've blown so much cash on Cowboy Bebop paraphernalia it's not even funny.

Shattered illusions said...

I haven't listen much of her stuff myself but I like the what I've heard.

Perhaps...

Good-bye Days
My Generation

Hope you enjoy.