Pages

Sunday, August 16, 2009

Fashion [does not equal] Beauty



Description: a self-indulgent rant about Fashion, Beauty, and the perceptions people seem to have about them, both publicly and personally. An unfashionable outsider's questioning of a world seemingly populated with impossible-looking creatures called "beautiful". My somewhat condescending take on how I view fashion and those who love it. This video was done with very few takes, in order to capture my entire opinion - both good points, and bad.

5 footnotes:

Sarah Alaoui said...

as cheesy as the last few minutes sounded, they are so true. also, your definition of "hot girls" was priceless, haha.

Zek J Evets said...

@sarah: cheesy!? haha, thanks... i think. no, i was definitely a little/a lotta cliche at the end, but the point is good.

my definition of hot girls... you mean that hot girls have low self-esteem and no concept of their own beauty, or beauty in general?

FunkyStarkitty50 said...

I agree with your opinion about how women get sucked into this idea of what beauty is. I know that I've been a victim of it in the past, and a few times in the present. Having dabbled in the modeling world years ago,I do know that many models are selected based on their ability to be transformed into whatever the designer wants them to be. And, you are right, they do look alien. I guess if you are 17, 5ft.11 and 115lbs naturally, you would see that as normal. The majority of women do not look like that, nor should they aspire to. I know that I will never be a size 2blue-eyed, blonde-haired woman, nor do I want to be. I just want to work with what I have.

Zek J Evets said...

@funky: that's interesting how you say models are picked for their ability to be whatever the designer wants them to be... it makes sense from an artistic standpoint, i guess, but ends up backfiring in my opinion. if you have a really hot girl wearing your clothes, most people don't even notice the clothes she's wearing but how good-looking she is.

FunkyStarkitty50 said...

A photographer once told me that the clothes are the focal point. The girl has to look like a clothes hanger, so that people will notice the clothes and not the girl. It's insane, but true. That's why they don't want the models to be too curvy or to fit into the clothes too well. Victoria's Secret is the exception to the rule, but even there it's just mostly wearing a bra about two sizes too small to make it look like they have huge breasts.