Pages

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Cat Cafe


What a good idea.


Courtesy of Wikipedia.

"A cat cafe is a theme cafe whose attraction is many cats, which can be watched and played with. Patrons pay a cover fee, generally hourly, and hence cat cafes can be seen as a form of supervised indoor pet rental.

Cat cafes are quite popular in Japan, with Tokyo being home to at least 39 cat cafes. A pioneer is Cat store (猫の店, Neko no Mise?), by HANADA Norimasa, which opened in 2005. The popularity of cat cafes in Japan is attributed to many apartments forbidding pets, and to cats providing relaxing companionship in what may otherwise be a stressful and lonesome urban life; other forms of pet rental are also common in Japan.


Japanese cat cafes feature strict rules to ensure cleanliness and animal welfare, in particular seeking to ensure that the cats are not disturbed by excessive and unwanted attention, such as by young children or when sleeping. Many cat cafes also seek to raise awareness of cat welfare issues, such as abandoned and stray cats."

Y'know, this is something I'd actually go to, but only if it was, like, a puppy cafe. How fucking cute would that be? Shit, I'd take every first date there and get laid all the time... But seriously, it's nice to see some entrepreneur finding a profitable niche market that also does a little good in the world - both for humans, and animals.

This is definitely Saboteur Academia Approved Content.


Me. Ow.

5 footnotes:

Christie said...

yucky i hate cats!
They should def. have a dog one.
Don't let my bias fool you though, its a nice thing to do for those poor little cats out there...i guess.

Jasper said...

DESU~KAWAII^NI!

TRIP TO JAPAAAN!
Although I'm allergic to felines, I'm sure a couple Claritin would do me just fine. Let's get our GAIJIN SMASH on!

FunkyStarkitty50 said...

I am a cat lover and owner. I think that this is a great idea. There are so many "Doggy Day Care" and "Pooch Boutiques" here. It's about time cats had something for themselves. Where I live, I see people carrying their dogs around in these little bags and car seats. I'd never go that far, mainly because my cats are neurotic about being anywhere but around my house. But still, this is too adorable. Thanks for posting that!!

isityouorme? said...

I wish they had one of these near where I live. now I miss my cat :(

Zek J Evets said...

@christie: yeah, cats aren't my favorite pet, but they're starting to grow on me, i guess. just nice to see these "pet cafes".

@jasper: damn. your intensity - IT BURNS! wait, why's my hair on fire?

@funky: glad you enjoyed it =)

isityou: awww, i'm sure they'll become ALL the rage in another few years. then you can kitty up to your hearts content. but until then! enjoy the idear of it?