Pages

Friday, July 10, 2009

Onomatopoeia


The sound when something happens.



We make monosyllabic constructions of odd-ends from language. As a self-styled comic-book afficionado, I will always be fascinated with this aspect of communicative verbiage, created to describe the indescribable sound of...

Crash.
Kiss.
Doorbell.
Punch.
Kick.
Slap.
Slam.
Static.
Explosion.
Clocks.
Broom.
Sneeze.
Scream.
Knock.
Drink.
Fire.
Hum.
Footstep.
A wink...

Et cetera infinity.

I love words so very much.

***BONUS***

Haven't done a bonus addition ina while, and I felt ya'll were overdo.



Ever since we got a bun-bunny in the house, I've been a little partial to lawl-rabbits.

4 footnotes:

JacqueRoxx said...

I always forget what onomatopoeia means..but I don't think "broom" or "clocks" fits in there. Clocks "tick" and rather than broom I would think "sweep" would be more appropriate. Same with "fire", fire's not really a sound...

Or maybe I misread something

Zek J Evets said...

@jacque: i wasn't really posting the sounds themselves, but the things that onomatopoeia describes. the sound of a clock, the sound of a broom, the sound of a kiss, etc.

emily said...

then how is it onomatopoeia?

Zek J Evets said...

@emily: how is what onomatopoeia? my post? my list of words? they all relate to the subject, of which i find fascinating.

besides, i already showed the onomatopoeias in the photo at the start. then i listed what they represent. did that not make sense?

sorry.