Pages

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Post-Childhood Fads




Been seeing a lot of talk about Where the Wild Things Are. Not the book, mind you, but the "live-action" movie. Apparently, the hype is that this film is gonna rock your socks off - and then rock them right back on. I say, all of you who've been posting about your excitement for this movie are posers.

Seriously, if not for the constant stream of Hipster subversion of unusual cultural icons that somehow increase their own "relevancy" and "originality", not a lot of people would be psyched for this movie. If not for the Urban Outfitter shirts, and random Art School mimicry, the only ones who'd see this movie would be pre-tweens and their parents, who bought the tickets. Sure, a few nostalgic people would add to the motley audience, but on the whole it'd be teh kinderlach.

If there is one thing I hate - like really hate - it's when someone pretends to like something from "back in the day" just because it's suddenly become popular/profitable/mainstream. What do you know about children's literature? Had you ever heard of Maurice Sendak before Spike Jonze dropped [his] name in the credits? Did any of ya'll even read the book?

Next you'll try and convince me you also read Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day. What about The Very Hungry Caterpillar, Goodnight Moon, If You Give a Mouse a Cookie... ? Hell, do ya'll even remember Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, by Judith Voist? (Coincidentally, also now being made into a major-motion picture!)

[Insert Sarcasm]



My point is, that everyone seems to get so excited about things just because they think they should, like they realized just when you said that that it's cool, or something. In reality, most people won't enjoy the movie, but still go see it.

I, however, will not, because I think Where the Wild Things Are isn't literature but cartoon-art with a few captions. The whole book only has ten lines! (Sorry, but it does.)

Now, don't bite my metaphorical head off just yet. I liked the book; I just don't like it as a movie. To date, the only good movie adaptations of books - in my obviously superior opinion - are Lord of the Rings and Fight Club. Turning this story into a shoddy movie will not only ruin the whole point of READING the book in the first place, but it will also stop most people from interpreting the story in any other way from the movie, ever. (Okay, maybe the latter is worst-case-scenario.)

I'm just saying. I'm just saying I hate the lemmings of our generation latching onto facets of pop culture whose relevancy was at its high point way back in the day, when they couldn't give two-squirts out of their diarrhea leaking assholes about it. It's some mutant version of coolness, subverting the past and pretending it's present. They act like they always liked the things they like.

Well they sure as shit did not. So step off my kid-lit before I smack you in the face with an Elmo doll.

4 footnotes:

JacqueRoxx said...

I agree with you about people all of a sudden remembering the book and now it's the next cool thing. I have never read the book but I saw the preview and I thought, "this looks terrible." Just like you can't cram a 600 page book into one 2hr movie, you can't make a 10 line book into a 2hr movie. Can't someone just write an original script for once?

y said...

Well said, sir. I'm glad there's someone else in this world who thinks that the book should be left alone.

By the way, Maurice Sendak is a man.

Zek J Evets said...

@y: a man? really? i fail. at least, at that particular part. truth be told, i tend to think lots of writers are actually women. for the longest time i thought j.d. salinger was a woman.

stephanie said...

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs was my favorite book as a kid, second only to Arty the Smarty and maybe that one about the kid who turned everything to chocolate. I still hope sometimes, usually on days when I wake up hungover, that giant pancakes and sunny-side-up eggs will fall down on my house.

I didn't know they were making a movie about it though, and I agree...makes me sad, and I'd rather not have my childhood literature be stomped on by big movies. Mostly just a way to show off cool computer animation, I'm sure. Blahhh. I won't go to that one either.