Pages

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

I'm a Writer not a Fighter


So, as many of you know, I'm self-publishing my first book entitled: Distorted Orange Hidden County.




It's been a real challenge, working with publishers, editors, photographers, models, my professors, getting advice from my peers, and compiling all the material into the best possible format. But I like to think of this as a learning experience, as a way to cut my teeth in the world I plan to make a career of - writing.

Despite all the delays, setbacks, compromises between what I WANT to do, and what I CAN do, I'm really pleased with how the book is turning out. My engagement with the material has changed over the years as I've slowly turned my crappy ramblings into real poetry. Some of the poems I started back in high-school! And since this is my first book/collection/whatever - my baby - I want it to be as good as I can make it. No short-cuts or worrying about cost. I BARELY stayed in my budget, but it was worth it.




The book is due out in roughly two months - hopefully less. Not sure if I'll have a release party yet. I don't even know who I'd invite. But I will be making announcements as soon as the first copies are available. You'll be able to purchase it through B&N, Borders, Amazon, and my publisher, Wingpsan Press. The book will cost around $20. (I know, why so expensive? It's because I did the pictures in color.) Those of you - and you know who you are - that contributed to the making of will receive a complementary copy.

And to tell you more about exactly what this book is all about, here's the blurb I wrote:

"A reaction to the media's portrayal of Southern California as a collection of slumburbs, home to rich sixteen year olds with nothing better to do than bleach their hair and star in reality television shows. Distorted Orange Hidden County is a native's poetic manifesto that shows — and tells — the authentic and overlooked pieces of Orange County, from dilapidated oil refineries to enigmatic tiki faced sand-carvings. In each poem and each picture is a story from underground suburban life, derelict pier to liquor store to gated community. You will be assaulted with heart-wrenching moments of staggering randomness so haunting they could only have been written by an eccentric tour-guide on a midnight drive through empty sea-side freeways."


8 footnotes:

Oh Captain, My Captain. said...

This sounds extremely interesting.
I'm so excited! Keep me posted.

isityouorme? said...

the premise sounds great. can't wait to get a copy for myself :)

TeenCreeps said...

wow thats so cool
cuz i love orange county with all my heart im there almost every weekend and theres other shit besides fucking real housewives of orange county
congrats and ill be buying me a copy too

jasper said...

Yes please!

Anonymous said...

next stop: the next kurt vonnegut.

Zek J Evets said...

the next vonnegut? nah. no ways i could compare to that old-man.

i'll settle for the next douglas coupland, or paul neilan.

i'm stoked that people want to see my book! maybe i'll even make a profit? haha... but probably not.

rachel said...

I'm really glad I was able to be part of the process for your book, through Gian's help of course. Hopefully I fit in well, haha. But I'm excited to see the finished product :)

Zek J Evets said...

@rachel: hah, well as my grandma would say, "you're gorgeous!"

gawd i can't wait for the finally, finally, FINALLY finished product.