Pages

Saturday, January 10, 2009

Tell me your first


I am a firm believer that whatever your "first" is, tells a lot about you as a person. Your first hot dog. Your first time riding a bike without training wheels. Your first job. These things reveal who you are in a fundamental and totally unique way... in my opinion.

Anyways, here's a "first" that I've thought about more than a few times. Your first album. The first music album that you purchased with your own money. Was it a cassette tape? Was it a CD? Did you get it from a big-box record store, or some small shit hole-in-the-wall?



The first album I ever bought was Third Eye Blind. (It was their eponymous first album.) I got it from Tower Records when I was like eleven or twelve. You know, I actually remember the first three albums I ever purchased. The second one was Floored, by Sugar Ray. And the third one was Robbin' the Hood, by Sublime.

Thinking back, I had reaaally bad taste in music, but those three albums, which were my first, I believe are still pretty damn good.

So, let's get some reader reponse/participation! What was the first album you ever purchased? Tell me about; the how, where, when, and so on.

8 footnotes:

TeenCreeps said...

well i remember my dad taking me to ritmo latino in huntington park and purchasing me a selena cassete..lol
r.i.p. selena
:]

Lex said...

Dizzy up the Girl by the Goo Goo dolls. I got it at a tower records. I was stuck at the airport on my way home from boarding school and it took me a half hour to buy it, the damn line was so long.

Second one was Sueños Líquidos by Maná, And the third was Kind of Blue by Miles Davis.

Zek J Evets said...

selena??? haha, que una chola!

and wow, lex - you had/have really...adult tastes in music.

varmintspath said...

well, i had a lot of music that other people bought for me sooo i guess that doesn't count. when i actually got my first job my first purchase was probably slayer's masterpiece reign in blood, which is arguably the best album of it's genre ever recorded, and there has been none to come close to dethroning it...yup metal at its finest...ssslllaaayyyeeerrrr!!!!

Zek J Evets said...

haha, slayer, oh man.

i'm loving these. keep it up.

Lex said...

I have no idea what that means...to have adult taste in music?

Zek J Evets said...

as in: mature, old-fashioned, not typical for someone your age but someone older. y'know... you's an old soul, mang!

Lex said...

Oooohh okay. Got it.