Pages

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Coma Therapy




For a writer, I really don't read that much. For a musician, I don't listen to a whole lot of music. For an artist, I don't experience art very often.

It has been a while since I've read a poet who actually speaks to the things I want to see in my own writing. Eric Victorino isn't the best poet, or very stylish, or even particularly ground-breaking. He doesn't use language in a way completely different than what's come before, or after. He doesn't write about subjects I haven't seen in other mediums. In fact, if you asked me what it is that seperates his writing from everyone else's I could only say, "well... his name's on the cover."

But it's more than that for me. I've always been one for stories. I love them; the plot thickening, thinning, going through its various crests and troughs. That is what draws me to this man's work.

(A big shout out to my brother, David, for giving me the book so that I could re-experience it with my writer's eyes. Thanks again for your excellent taste/recommendations!)

I want to repost a poem that is basically amazing. So let me get the legal-jumbo out of the way: This poem is the property of Eric Victorino & Orchard City Media. This poem is reprinted electronically in its entirety for the purposes of education and literary critical review. All rights are reserved by the author and Orchard City Media.

Please don't sue me. I just really like this poem.

"I am a saxophone

I am a saxophone
so be something like a set of drums to me...
because I can't see myself going
solo.

I've been bumping into things,
I've been clumsy...
but I'm learning.

I am on another road
to another nowhere-in-particular,
just another-place-not-home...

I've made circles
around the circles I made before
and I can't even count
the wrecks I caused along the way,
but I'm trying,
I'm learning.

I'm tired
but I'm full of so much energy all at once.
I don't long for the past anymore
I'm eager
to face the future.

I've started scaring myself
in a good way.
I've started asking myself
some pretty tough questions
and for once,
I'm coming up with
the right answers.

I know now
becoming a better person
is a decision you make.
it isn't an accident.

and I am a saxophone,
so be something like
a set of drums
to me
and we'll learn to play
such wonderful music."



This guy is officially my new favorite poet. But I won't get any of his other books - I don't want to spoil it.

0 footnotes: