Pages

Friday, September 19, 2008

Books you people need to read


I've been meaning to get this blog back on track as a (mostly) credible source for music, factoids, randomness, cultural trends, political/economic developments, and of course, choice reading.

I have three books all of you out there in internet-land should read - or at least say that you did.

First Book: Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs: A Low Culture Manifesto



Chuck Klosterman is hilarious in this collection of pop-infused essays on myriad random topics that all tie together into one cohesive theme of: what the hell is going on these days. I read this over the course of a week or so, and fully enjoyed it. I laughed out loud so much that people didn't just stare, they actually asked me if I was alright. The references Klosterman makes are sometimes obscure, if not downright esoteric, but fully worth exploring for the wealth of useful useless information it can give. (All of which is easily accessible through the internet.) Read this and you'll never have trouble coming up with topics for conversation for a few weeks.

Second Book: Bright Lights, Big City



This was recommended to me by my brother, and I must say is one of the best books I have ever been told to read. Jay McInerney is funny in a way that makes you cry - or maybe sad in a way that makes you laugh. The novel is told in second person and follows the exploits of the unnamed narrator through 1980's New York life. And for a book of such "literary merit" it was a really easy read. The ending snuck up on me and I found myself flipping back & forth through the pages wondering how I got to the end like this. I'm not sure if readers who aren't 1) white 2) male and 3) interested in literature will enjoy this book, particularly given it's second-person narrational form, but for you basically young white guys out there, it's gonna speak to you like a weird close friend.

Third Book: God's Middle Finger: Into the Lawless Heart of the Sierra Madre



An insane narrative by Richard Grant on his travels into this shady (to say the least) area of Mexico. For those of you who enjoy stories from - and on - the road, this will definitely capture your imagination. Lost Indian tribes, old Spanish ruins, Mexican gangsters, drugs, shooting, rapists, murderers and ghost stories; this has all the adventure you'll need. However, don't let any of it into your head that such escapades can be done; the rather embarrassing ending will wake you up to the pleasures of a safer existence.

Happy reading, cheers.

0 footnotes: