Pages

Monday, May 5, 2008

Yep, this is what I do in my free time



Thirteen ways of looking at
A plastic bag

I
Among twenty broken shopping carts
the only moving sound
was the        swish of a ripped plastic bag
II
I had one impulse:
to buy everything in my arms        in which there were
seven plastic bags – all crushed
III
The plastic bag flew in Santa Ana winds
an homage to forgotten groceries
IV
A cart and a person        are one
a cart, a person, and a plastic bag        are done
V
I can’t tell which is better:
the completeness of ready-made
or simplicity of heat-in-the-can?
the plastic bag        or the paper?
VI
Food stuff filled the grey trunk        with little room left as
bulging plastic bags tumbled ‘round and ‘round
the mood: made in china
like the car, like the bags        a faraway land
VII
O young man of Vons!
why do you imagine paper is what I need?
don’t you see how well this plastic bag        holds
the food inside that I will soon eat?
VIII
I'm of weary paper bags
with soggy sides and        frail handles
knowing that plastic bags are immune
to dampening        and the subsequent ripping
IX
When a plastic bag is        tossed from sight
it sits in the trash
or some lonely cabinet
X
At the glimpse of plastic bags        wafting in the breeze
even strong cardboard boxes feel        pity and concede
XI
I drove thru California mindlessly
soon a thought blew by
did I see        a plastic bag        following me?
XII
The wind is blowing
the plastic bags must be dancing
XIII
It was mud-grey all afternoon
it wasn’t clear, and it wasn’t going to clear
the plastic bags sat
in dirty vagrant’s carts like
so many old hats

1 footnotes:

Holly said...

American Beauty is amazing. Balls of Fury is NOT.